Olympus is currently selling its camera-making business but don’t be fooled—one of the oldest camera manufacturers is getting a significant slice of the camera market pie in Japan. In fact, Olympus is the biggest brand of mirrorless cameras in Japan for the first half of 2020.
Out of ten best-selling cameras, four of them fills up a coveted spot. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Markk III silver and black are lodged at numbers one and ten respectively, while the Olympus PEN E-PL9 in white and in brown are at numbers two and six, respectively.
We listed down the full list of top ten best-selling cameras in Japan, courtesy of Digital Camera
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III EZ double zoom kit (silver)
- Olympus PEN E-PL9 EZ double zoom kit (white)
- Canon EOS Kiss M double zoom kit (white)
- Sony A6400 double zoom lens kit (black)
- Canon EOS Kiss M Double Zoom Kit (black)
- Olympus PEN E-PL9 EZ Double Zoom Kit (brown)
- Nikon Z50 Double Zoom Kit
- Sony A6400 Double Zoom Lens Kit (silver)
- Panasonic Lumix GF9 Double Lens Kit (orange)
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III EZ Double Zoom Kit (black)
Despite this resounding good news, it does not deter the sale of Olympus to Japan Industrial Partners. It is worth noting that all these four cameras are entry level shooters, so despite being able to dominate the market in terms of volume, the four listed are clearly the lest profitable in their lineup.
The Olympus sale was first made official June 2020, when it was reported that Japan Industrial Partners was buying the 84-year old camera manufacturer’s imaging business. Olympus is wellknown not just for its PEN and OM-D series of cameras, but for it Micro Four Thirds system, allowing interchangeable lens for a wide variety of digital cameras.
Fret not, the Olympus sale does not mean steering clear of their cameras. Your Olympus PEN is still a great camera, and should it need camera repairs, CameraFIX is your best bet in making sure it will continue to run smoothly. An annual update and cleaning is always a good idea, and you can easily contact any of our experts should you need any help assessing your camera.